who we are
CEPSE/COE Design Studio is a college-wide resource in support of faculty in the use of various technologies (primarily online technologies) for teaching and learning. We thrive on dialogue at the intersection of pedagogical theory, emerging technologies, and the pragmatics of the daily life of faculty. And we work to stimulate the kinds of rich learning exchanges that bring our professional community closer to the content… and to each other.
We are made up of doctoral students in the Educational Psychology and Educational Technology program, along with John Bell (director) and additional support staff. See the people page for more detail.
Started in 2011, CEPSE/COE Design Studio brings research, experience, and vision to the issues and challenges of online teaching – today and tomorrow.
what we do
Our goal is to serve as a catalyst for growth and innovation:
- In the deep exploration of technology in online learning environments
- In the faculty-inspired dialogues that drive both inquiry and insight
- In the ways that educators and researchers apply their expertise towards greater learning and teaching potential
To that end, we have worked with faculty in the use of many technologies, including:
- synchronous audio and video technologies
- chromakey (i.e., green screen) video
- video capture, editing, streaming, and publishing
- course management systems including Desire2Learn and WordPress
- data gathering both during and after courses sessions
- web-based classroom and learning resources, including the use of mobile computing such as iPads
We have also engaged in rich support and dialogues through:
- hosting round table discussions of COE faculty related to online technologies in teaching and learning
- providing doctoral students to serve as Technology Navigators in synchromodal courses
- highlighting and promoting model practices by faculty
- hosting presentations and conversations on our edTalks site
- doing research and making presentations related to synchromodal classes